Thursday 15 June 2017

The Undertaker: A female undertaker in nineteenth century Scotland sets out to solve the mysteries of the dead by Carmel Audsley

This was one of these books that I just had to read. I love historical fiction and non fiction. The fact that it was set in Edinburgh a city I used to live in was the main attraction. When I saw that the main lead was a female undertaker I had to buy it. I loved the way Carmel Audsley took me around the familiar streets of Edinburgh. But also on the long journey to Dundee, in those days a 9 hour journey by train and two ferries. Well researched and an enjoyable mystery. 5 stars.

This book ticked all the right boxes for me in the blurb ; A murder mystery set in Victorian Edinburgh and an unusual heroine in the shape of undertaker and business owner; Kate Grainger. I wasn’t disappointed. Kate Grainger is a fascinating character, she is curious to the point of obsessive and she is determined. Not only is she determined to make it in a man’s profession, but also to bring justice to the woman who she suspects has been murdered. This book has been well researched and having lived in Edinburgh I recognise many of the streets and places she mentions. It was also an interesting look into the world of funerals and customs of the 1850’s. Above all it is a cracking murder mystery with a strong female lead. I’m sure Kate Grainger’s curiosity will no doubt entangle her into another investigation and I can’t wait to read more of her adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment