Tuesday 31 January 2017

Amie and The Child of Africa by Lucinda E Clarke

It has been a while since I read the first book in the series, but credit to the writer that I remembered a fair bit of it and didn't have to re-read the ending of Amie an African adventure. I actually liked this book better, even though I was  annoyed with Amie's stupidity and pigheadedness at first. It is a well written adventure and sometimes it is better not to question the characters actions too closely:) I gave it 5 stars for being an exiting read.
It has been a while since I read the first book in this series, but after a few pages I was back in Africa with Amie. This is not a stand-alone book if you have not read the first book in the series you’re going to be a bit lost, but Lucinda puts a couple of reminders in to help us back on track in the Child of Africa. At first I was a bit puzzled as to why Amie wanted to stay in such a dangerous place as Togodo, but it soon became clear that not only had the orphan Angelina taken a hold of Amie’s heart; but Africa itself too. I think Amie is also secretly an adrenalin junkie that thrives on adventure. I shouted a few times at the book in the early stages when Amie took some unnecessary risks and rash decisions, but gradually I was swept up in the adventure she had blundered into. The character of Shalima, brings an unexpected flavour of Birmingham and a few comic moments to the mixture. A powerful reminder that a lot of recent world events (such as the rise of IS) can start right in our back yard. The story is written in a style that keeps the reader engaged and on the edge of their seats. The adventure moves at a fast pace and it is clear from the descriptions an insight that the writer has lived in Africa for a long time. What bothered me a little in the first book was that Togodo and its civil war were fictional, but here Lucinda has cleverly interwoven some very current real world events and I found I was getting a much clearer view of Amie’s environment. The book ended on a cliff hanger and I’m pleased to see part three(Amie, Stolen Future) is already available.

No comments:

Post a Comment